Beef-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Jean Gaines, Bullhead
Prep: 15 min.
hour 20 min.
- 2 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Invert squash in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Add water and cover
- with foil. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook beef, onion and celery over medium heat until no
- longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, salt and sage until
- Add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- thickened and bubbly. Stir in rice.
- Transfer squash to a baking sheet. Fill cavity with meat mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle
- cheese and bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Taste of Home 2014